This is the time of year when it is great to be outside enjoying sunny weather and the smell of a charcoal grill. There are plenty of great things to cook on the grill but if you are tired of cooking the same things then perhaps you should break the mold a little bit and try some beef stew! It may not have as much flare as steak but a good beef stew is aromatic, hearty, has outstanding flavor and will quite literally feed an army.
Check out the Second Elm Beef Stew that was cooked in the Kamado Joe ceramic grill and let us know your thoughts!
Beef Stew cooked on the Kamado Joe Ceramic Grill
- 1.5 lbs of Beef Tenderloin
- 1 bag of new Potatoes (cut into 1/4’s)
- 1 Bag of little Carrots
- 1 White Onion (cut until diced)
- 2 tablespoons of Worcester Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Garlic Salt
- Combine all ingredients into a cast iron skillet or dutch oven, i prefer the dutch-oven!
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend using Kamado Joe Lump Charcoal because the chunks are larger and more dense which makes it easier to control the heat on the grill.
- Once the grill has reached the appropriate temperature, place the dutch-oven onto the grill for a total cook time of about 90- 120 minutes.
- If you would like to add additional flavor to the stew, I recommend smoking some hickory wood in the first 30 minutes the stew is on the grill. To do this, simply place 4-5 chunks of hickory onto the lump charcoal before placing the stew onto the grill. After you place the stew onto the grill, leave the lid off the dutch-oven for about 30 minutes to let the smoke soak into the potatoes and the meat. After 30 minutes you can place the lid back onto the dutch-oven or just let the residual smoke season the stew
This beef stew is easy to make and tastes great. you can evolve the flavor profile by adding additional spices like thyme and rosemary or you can just keep it simple. This recipe will feed a large group of people as well, so if you are looking for something different to put on the grill that smells and tastes great give it a try!