At Second Elm we believe summer time is the best time to get out and grill. There is no special reason it is the best, but it happens to be the time when most people are outside with their families and friends putting meat on the grill and drinking cold beverages to stay cool. The aroma of cooked meat, smoked or grilled, is something would be ideal to air through a supermarket, any time of the year, to activate the “old-factory” senses and make the shoppers hungry for a good, old-fashioned burger!
I have spent a lot of time over the years cooking burgers and one of the easiest, and most flavorful, ones I have ever cooked is the Ranch Burger. Doritos made a ranch chip, Taco Bell made a Doritos Taco with Cool Ranch, and I make hamburgers infused with Hidden Valley Ranch. The great thing about food is that you ca try anything, and putting Hidden Valley Ranch into a burger is far from the nuttiest thing I have ever done!
- 2.25 lbs of Ground Beef
- 2 packets of powdered Hidden Valley Ranch
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Chopped White Onion
- Combine all ingredients and mix well in a large bowl
- Create patties about the size of the palm of your hand, make sure to perforate with a fork to prevent burgers from blowing up like balloons
- Pre-Heat Grill to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place Ranch Burgers on grill and cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn-off the grill and flip the burgers one last time and let them rest on the hot grill for 3 minutes (This will make sure the meat is cooked to well done without drying them out) Total Cook Time is 13 minutes
- Take burgers off the grill, apply cheese if desired, and let them rest for 3 minutes before serving.
It is important to understand that if you don’t like the taste of Hidden Valley Ranch, you will most certainly not like the taste of this juicy, flavorful, outstanding Ranch Burger cooked to perfection on the Kamado Joe.
This particular burger was paired with the Anchor California Lager, made by the Anchor Brewing Company. This is a great tasting, light lager beer perfect for the summer time because it has a great flavor and smooth taste, especially when it is chilled to 33 degrees Fahrenheit!